- be noticed by someone
- attract someone’s attention
- make eye contact with someone
- to get someone’s attention by looking at them
- While we were driving down the road, a small shop selling beautiful potteries caught my eye.
- The restaurant was a busy one, and it was quite some time before we managed to catch the waiter’s eye.
- Mary was gazing at the mountains beyond when Jason caught her eye and beckoned her.
- That shiny red car at the showroom had really caught my eye; I wanted to but it right away before good sense prevailed.
- Bob had taken a fancy to the new girl in the neighbourhood and went about trying to catch her eye during a get together organized by the local community.
- Sam was getting very chatty and was about to give my secret away when I finally managed to catch his eye and signal him to stop.
- Andy was desperately trying to catch Rebecca’s eyes at the party but she kept ignoring him – it looked like they had had a big fight about something.
- The vase at a friend’s house had caught my wife’s eye – she wanted something like that for herslf.
The origin of the idiom is not known.
Link to this page: